Monday, July 26, 2004



I'm not sure if you guys were aware or not, but Sunday nights on Turner Classic Movies is Silent Sunday Cinema. A friend of mine and I tuned in. Maybe because the only other options were "The Abyss" (love) and "All I Want For Christmas" (LOVE!), both epics in their own right, but movies I know all too well.

The movie was called "Safety Last" (I chuckle as I type), starring the adorable antics of Harold Lloyd as "The Boy" and some floozy as "The Floozy". Most of you are probably aware of the famous picture of some old timey guy hanging off of a clock, a still taken from this movie.

Please, for all that is sacred, try your best to get a copy of this film. I cannot remember the last time I laughed so hard. Some clips: An officer named STUBBS, a drunk caught in a volleyball net, and physical comedy that makes Robert Benigni look like Al Gore! (a very wooden political figure, for those of you not aware.)

Perhaps the only cringe-enducing scenes involved overly racist stereotypes: a Black servant who looked absolutely possessed, and a Jewish jewelery dealer whose greedy hand rubbing and blackened teeth made The Passion of the Christ look like Shoah. But for a movie made in 19-tickety-two, it didn't come as that big of a surprise.

For more info, check out this CNN article about Lloyd, as well as a recent biography written about him.






 
© youcantmakeitup - Design by birdbranch
Site Meter