Monday, June 13, 2005

Sisterhood of the Stumbling Drunks



Yes, yes, I realize this is the second time in a week that I've used the "Sisterhood" title, but for good reason. I caught the movie on Friday night, and what a fucking treat. If you were in my theater, you probably knew it -- the one two punch of laughter followed by heartache rendered me retardo, and at time where I should have cried I was whooping it up, whereas during some of the funnier scenes, the brain-lines were so crossed I would find myself weeping and trembling like an orphaned baby in a basket. Long story long: See this movie!! (If you do see it, pretend the first 10 minutes never happened.)

The real reason for this post is to thank a very dear friend of mine for being just that: An amazing friend. Her name is Lang Fisher, and (as everyone who knows her can tell you) she's truly one of the top top people. Not to mention one of the funniest. I've brought her up before, for example, when we auditioned for American Idol together and she made it on the show.


Lang in London, posing with our second favorite stop, Tooting Broadway.

So why am I so grateful to Lang? 1. She comes to almost all my shows and is endlessly supportive. 2. She lets almost all her friends crash at her place without making you feel unwelcome. (Hence, I slept in Brooklyn last night and am wearing my "going out" clothes to "work." 3. She sang Shawn Colvin last night at karaoke, and while it was terrible, still won over the crowd (thanks to her stealthy dance moves) 4. She loaned this poor poor lass $20 until her paycheck on Weds., not to mention bought some drinks. As if her generosity wasn't enough, she's also hysterically funny.

I'm not sure what to do to repay Lang for all her kindness, but it might involve a trip to the Stone Cold Creamery, all the tuppins money can buy (after pay day), and maybe a matinee of Shark Boy and Lava Girl.

Either way, make sure to catch her for the month of June in her sketch comedy group "The Wiener Philharmonic" and their new show "Wish You Were Here", along with my other dear college friends who make up the rest of the players. Flavorpill recommended them last week, and I'll do so this week. Also, they have a blog that they update sometimes, and I don't think you have to know them to realize what maniacs they are -- and I mean that in the nicest way. The info:

EVERY THURSDAY IN JUNE at 9:30PM
THE WIENER PHILHARMONIC PRESENTS:
"Wish you were here!!"
Juvie Hall at the Gene Frankel Theater24 Bond Street
Between Lafayette and Bowery $7 at door, $8.50 online


Look at how adorable they all are!!

Finally, I had a great time at both my shows last night, thanks to all involved. I had such a good time, in fact, that I decided to tear Celine Dion a new asshole by reinventing her classic ballad "It's All Coming Back to Me Now." Today, I sound like a man. Get that voice trained, Collins!


 
© youcantmakeitup - Design by birdbranch
Site Meter