Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Wedding Hall & Marriage Oates...

...are such a great band. I'm totally downloading some of it when I get home.

Speaking of music that makes me cry, I was recently discussing with a newly engaged friend what song she was going to play at her wedding. We played a guessing game for about 28 minutes, when finally she just told me: "The Luckiest", by Ben Folds. Great song, indeed.

Which got me to thinking: What song am I going to use for my wedding? Another friend, Annie, my "MOH" (or "Maid of Honor") (ps Annie, it's blogged now so you can't go back on your word) said she wanted "In My Life" by The Beatles, which I've always found borderline depressing, but my friend insisted it was a song about true love. A sampling:

But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new
Though I know I’ll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I’ll often stop and think about them
In my life I love you more

Anyway, if I had to choose a Beatles song for my wedding (and gentlemen, my ring finger's gettin' chilly, so get on it!) it would probably be "Here, There and Everywhere." That or "Komm, gib mir deine Hand!", the German version of "I Want to Hold Your Hand":

Oh komm doch, komm zu mir
Du nimmst mir den Verstand
Oh komm doch, komm zu mir
Komm, gib mir deine Hand!

This would also make perfect sense as I plan on having "A-Ha" sing at my wedding. And if they're not available, I'll settle for Amy Grant or "Crazy Adolf and the Eva Bronze".

Anyway, I wouldn't choose The Beatles because even though I'm a Beatles girl (as opposed to an Elvis girl, which I think is code for "I like Elvis and also have syphillis"), it's a little trite to have their melody blaring over the loudspeaker as I awkwardly shuffle around the dancefloor in my Versace fishnet gown.

So I thought and I thought, and I think I want my wedding song (brace for it) to be "Somebody" by Depeche Mode. When I read the lyrics to my MOH, she paused and said... well, it's honest. But that's me, I'M HONEST. And Honestly, I've had the type of shitty day where I have been reduced the thinking about the SONG that is going to be SUNG by A-HA at my WEDDING to _?_?_?_?_?_. Fingers crossed it's my baby's daddy.

Anyway, here are the lyrics:

I want somebody to share
Share the rest of my life
Share my innermost thoughts
Know my intimate details
Someone who’ll stand by my side
And give me support
And in return
She’ll get my support
She will listen to me
When I want to speak
About the world we live in
And life in general
Though my views may be wrong
They may even be perverted
She’ll hear me out
And won’t easily be converted
To my way of thinking
In fact she’ll often disagree
But at the end of it all
She will understand me
Aaaahhhhh....

I want somebody who cares
For me passionately
With every thought and
With every breath
Someone who’ll help me see things
In a different light
All the things I detest
I will almost like
I don’t want to be tied
To anyone’s strings
I’m carefully trying to steer clear of
Those things
But when I’m asleep
I want somebody
Who will put their arms around me
And kiss me tenderly
Though things like this
Make me sick
In a case like this
I’ll get away with it
Aaaahhhhh....

Haha, re-reading it now, I realize it is clearly NOT a great love song, moreso a song about longing. The "Aaaahhhhh...."'s are the best part.


Any takers?


UPDATE: Am I the only one depressed when re-reading this? When did this blog turn into a dream about weddings kinda thing? Jesus. I'm gonna go smoke right now and do permanent damage to my face.


 
© youcantmakeitup - Design by birdbranch
Site Meter