Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Where Is the Dove?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Tell me he doesn't look like Bilbo Baggins.

These pictures are too brilliant for words. The Pope fighting off a peace dove.

Pope loses battle with peace-symbol dove

Pope John Paul II shoos away from the window of his studio white doves freed at the end of the Angelus prayer in St. Peter's square, at the Vatican, Sunday, Jan. 30, 2005

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

God bless indeed. Not so much Pope-y, as he is disgruntled senile neighbor-y.

I've seen the Pope twice in my lifetime. Once, when I was around 4, my mother heard on the news that the Pope would be driving through Miami in his little Pope-mobile, and in under two minutes she packed my dad, my brother and myself into a car, where we would eventually be the only Jewish people on Brickell Road to greet him. Mom was all about pop icons.

Then, in the Spring of 2001 I was studying abroad in Budapest (a must-visit city), and spent my spring break in Rome, coinciding with Palm Sunday. A friend and I decided what better place to be than at the Vatican. Early we rose, headed on over and scored amazing seats. Eventually the place got pretty packed, so that by the time the Pope made his very slow and elderly debut it was nearly impossible to see him. Everyone stood on their chairs to catch a glimpse of His Holiness riding by on his motorized cart. All I could catch was the tippety-top of his hat gliding atop many an Italians head. Slowly the cap moved, and I knew that under that moving white triangle was Mr. Pope himself. Eventually he made his way to the stage, and the service took forevs. Needless to say, after three hours I was all "I heard there's an amazing McDonald's around here... catch ya later." and went on my merry way.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The Pope in his amazing turn as Russian Hockey player in Miracle.

Evening Update: Sadly, the Pope has been hospitalized. Very strange, as I've had Pope on the brain all day (this post being evidence of that). Wishing him a speedy recovery.


 
© youcantmakeitup - Design by birdbranch
Site Meter