Tuesday, September 27, 2005

An Odd Confession

I would like to preface this posting by saying that I'm trying to change my oral intake lifestyle, hence I started the World Famous South Beach Diet yesterday, along with quitting smoking and caffeine. A day later, and I can tell you that my eyes wish to remain permanently closed, I'm coughing like an orphan in World War II, and I nearly blew a rail of Splenda off the 7 pounds of smoked turkey I bought for dinner last night. In other words, I've never felt better.

On to more important matters: British comedy. Perhaps it's my latest decision to purge myself of all evils (I'm looking at you Snackwells) that leads me to admit this on live blogovision, but... I don't find Ricky Gervais that funny. There -- I SAID IT. Now please, let me explain. First of all, I am a foaming at the mouth Anglophile. I love all things British, which is why I don't DISlike Mr. Gervais. However, when forced to sit through day-long "Office" marathons, and even through the premiere of his new show "Extras" on HBO... I don't know! We just don't mesh!



And yet, I've had to feign obsession with him for nearly a year now. Every time I want to launch into my love for British comedy, the first thing anyone will ask me is "Are you obsessed with the Office?" to which I have to say (through gritted teeth) "Yes, why I simply adore The Office. It's. My. Favorite. Show. Ever." When the truth is... meh. I don't hate it, it's not "Drew Carey" proportions we're talking about here. And I can understand why people enjoy it... I guess. I can watch it, sometimes maybe chuckle. Perhaps it's to subtle for me? But as a girl who works in an office swarming with assholes, spending my weekends watching my life played out on television just doesn't yankle my chain. In fact, I find it depressing.

And trust, it's not because I dislike uncomfortable humor. I caught Gervais' new show, Extras, following a fairly satisfying "Curb Your Enthusiasm" Sunday, a show that many of my friends find too cringe inducing to sit through and yet one that I love. Now people -- I reaaaaally wanted to love "Extras". I read raving reviews, say promos, told myself "This is it. This is where you fall in love with Ricky Gervais." And I watched it. I didn't DISlike it, and I'll probably continue to watch. But was I dying laughing through it? Not really. Save for the ending with Kate Winslet which was truly laugh out loud (it's always fun watching celebrities humiliate themselves, even when they're in on the joke), overall it was pretty low energy. How could a show that makes fun of cerebral palsey not strike a chord with me? It's truly baffling. I like Gervais... he just doesn't make me laugh.


Although I will give him credit, this stunt of his looks HIlarious. Can you believe that's him?

I'll tell you what show I am OB-GYN-sessed with that hasn't yet become cult-like in the states: Little Britain. A show I've quoted so often to friends they feel as though they, too, have sat through the entire first season on DVD 9 or 10 times in a row. Here's a show that makes any American comedy pale in comparison. I'm not going to get into the intricacies of its genius here, but if you have BBC America, try your best to catch the episodes of Season 2 that are playing now. (I, of course, purchased Season 2 on DVD from England last year. See? I'm a dedicated fan, I swear.) For info on the serious, check out this fan's extreeeemely detailed Little Britain website, which includes a few scripts.




The man in the middle? Robbie Williams.

You know, I DO feel better after coming clean with this. I realize that I'm now opening myself up to people trying to convince me that Gervais is a genius, which he may be. But can't a bitch just NOT think something is funny once in a while? DAMN.

p.s. I'm sure my disabled comments section is killing you right now. Love/Hate Ricky Gervais? Convince me either way and I'll post some of your best opinions later on today. youcantmakeitup@gmail.com.

In other news, poor Kathy Griffin! She's filing for divorce from her husband Matt, who was featured prominently on her hilarious reality show on Bravo. Dear God -- I've just told the world that I don't find Ricky Gervais funny and that I love Kathy Griffin. I think I may have officially just lost all street cred. And you know what: IT WAS WORTH IT.

peepeeass: R. Kelly's wife says "Enough is enough" and also files for divorce. Well poo poo in my mouth and bang a 13-year-old, that's a surprise.


 
© youcantmakeitup - Design by birdbranch
Site Meter